Pages

Saturday 21 July 2012

Paul Appleby will stay out of the ring after suffering serious dehydration


Edinburgh boxer Paul Appleby is taking an indefinite break from the competitive ring for the remainder of 2012 but is aiming to make a return at the beginning of next year, albeit at a different weight category.
The super featherweight fighter, who turns 25 tomorrow, was admitted to hospital following his Celtic super featherweight title defeat to John Simpson at the Kelvin Hall in Glasgow on June 29. Shortly after, Appleby complained of feeling unwell and was advised to see a doctor. He subsequently spent the next few days in the Western General Hospital after being diagnosed with severe dehydration. “I only had six weeks to make the weight so I probably shouldn’t have even taken the fight,” Appleby said.
“I think it just proved too much for me. When I got to hospital, they put me on a drip to rehydrate me and kept me in for a few days but I’m fine now. I am going to take a short-term break and will hopefully be back at the beginning of next year. I think I need a bit of a rest but I will still be training and things like that. I’ll probably move to either lightweight or light welterweight but we’ll wait and see.”

No comments:

Post a Comment