Pages

Friday 25 January 2013

'Rampage' Jackson considers Boxing career after UFC

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson would like to remind fans that the UFC isn't the first major promotion he's fallen out with.  "I'm a fighter," he said. "I fight everything. That's my problem. I don't win all my fights; I fight everything. I just say, 'You know what, forget it.'"  Seven years ago, he said as much to PRIDE, which at the time was a major competitor to the UFC and a platform that made stars out of fighters like him.  Jackson felt disrespected by the now-defunct promotion and in 2006 signed with the World Fighting Alliance. So began a new chapter in his career.

Now on the verge of starting another, Jackson believes he's burned his bridge with UFC parent Zuffa, which acquired his contract after the WFA quickly went belly up.  Jackson (32-10 MMA, 7-4 UFC) and Zuffa have publicly agreed that his final octagon appearance comes on Saturday at UFC on FOX 6, which takes place at Chicago's United Center. In a FOX-televised co-main event, he meets Brazilian standout Glover Teixeira (19-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC), whom he was originally slated to face this past October at UFC 153.  Jackson said with the right offer, he could transition to another MMA promotion or to the boxing ring.  "I think I can bring to boxing what they're lacking right now," he said. "All we really have is (Manny) Pacquiao and (Floyd) Mayweather, in my opinion. We don't have any (Evander) Holyfields and Mike Tyson right now. I think I can bring that type of energy to boxing."

But there are more than a few MMA observers who think Jackson's recent gripes are merely a ploy to ink a better contract. After all, money heals all wounds in combat sports, right?  "I don't think there's anything that they could do now," Jackson said. "I've given them chances. I don't want to badmouth them. (UFC President) Dana (White), once upon a time, gave me a big break and he helped me out when he first purchased my contract. But it's no secret, ever since I did 'The A-Team' movie and I didn't fight Rashad Evans in Memphis, we've had a bad relationship."  This past week, Jackson complained that the UFC had blocked him from wearing Reebok inside the octagon on Saturday. But today, he downplayed the effect of the decision. (The promotion later said it was open to working with the apparel company.)


No comments:

Post a Comment